On 15th February, the tug Volunteer sailed up the River Avon and returned home to Bristol for the first time in over 30 years. She was built locally at the Charles Hill shipyard in 1934 and was the first diesel tug built for the local fleet of C. J. King. She has been privately restored and will be berthed in Portishead marina with the 1936 built tug John King on the occasion of the South West Ship Show on 18th April when visitors to the Show will be able to visit both tugs.
The Volunteer is powered by a British Polar K56 diesel engine. She was sold by C. J. King & Sons Limited in 1959 to F. A. Ashmead & Son Ltd. and renamed Robert A. She was later laid up in Gloucester and sold in 1983 to Drake Towage in Wisbech, whereupon she was renamed Sea Fitter. Sold on in 1999 and renamed Robert AA before further resale in 2002 when moved to Whitehaven and renamed Volunteer.